Corporate Social Responsibility & Green Meetings
Located in the UNESCO Southwest Nova Biosphere Reserve, White Point is committed to reducing the impact on the pristine and valued environment that we've have become custodians for. By default, when you meet at White Point, you too benefit from our evolving White Point Green Theme, our environmental stewardship policy that is a core part of the way we operate.
At White Point, we lean towards the principle of Corporate Social Responsibility and sustainability to ensure your needs are met without compromising those of future generations. A healthy environment is an essential element of sustainability. Environmental impact is a key consideration in all our corporate decisions as we strive to "Make Moments Memories" and establishing connections between our guests and the environment.
For decades, we have been involved in green programs and as a result, we have proudly achieved a 4 Green Key Rating from the Hotel Association of Canada.
Our commitment to the environment and its sustainability has not gone unnoticed. We are frequently called upon to contribute writers and presenters on green related meetings and operations. The Resource Recovery Fund Board (RRFB) of Nova Scotia has also named us the “2007 Large Business of the Year.” The RRFB’s Mobius Environmental Awards recognizes innovative organizations and individuals who have made Nova Scotia a leader in waste reduction. We invite you to become familiar with RRFB online.
The White Point Team is continuously seeking out and implementing new initiatives that further support our environmental goals. Take a look at our current Green Initiatives. Borrow them if you like and certainly, if you have any ideas or suggestions, please be sure to pass them along to us!
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
As is deeply rooted in our mission statement “...the company shall adhere to the principles of sustainability and environmental responsibility”, we are proud to be champions of the triple bottom line of people (community initiatives), planet (environmental sustainability) and profit (financial responsibility and fair business practices). We are proud of our many initiatives, which include but are not limited to:
- An expanded vegetable garden on the repurposed tennis courts means the distance between 'plant to plate' is significantly diminished. The garden is home to ur apiary and rainwater collection system. Tours throughout the year enable us to share insights and learnings with guests that are basic and transferrable.
- For 6 years now, White Point Beach Resort has been a proud Guardian for the nesting, endangered species the Piping Plover. Engaging guests and the public in a program to recognize these birds and support the protection of their nesting area on the beach has resulted in successful nests and fledging of some 21 chicks!
- An extensive, active Green Theme program which includes in-room garbage separation, growing our own Herb Garden and having a Greenhouse, plus many others you can read about here
- Participation in Kejimkujik National Park Seaside beach sweeps
- Leading by example with our semi-annual participation in the Adopt A Highway Program (from 1999-2011, we collected 743 black garbage bags and 119 blue bags from our stretch of route 3!)
- Actively nurturing and participating in community capacity building, such as initiating the Events Liverpool committee; team members serving on Boards and Committees for organizations like the Astor Theatre Society, the Winds of Change theatre troupe, the South Queens Chamber of Commerce and Destination Southwest Nova Association
- Being champions and ambassadors for our local and regional volunteer fire departments
- Expanding the understanding and awareness of our place with the UNESCO Southwest Nova Biosphere Reserve by organizing a Tourism Summit, and facilitating programs and promotions
- Achieving a 4 Green Key rating and aspiring to achieve a 5 Green Key rating
- Expanding our programming to include volun-tourism opportunities for local partners
- Collaborating with, and integrating, local Nova Scotia producers into our experiential programming to showcase and educate guests on the variety and quality in locally sourced products, including our extensive Nova Scotia wine list
- Management Team and staff members invested in their community, contributing as volunteers with their children’s schools, their church, fundraising for charities, etc. It is a way of life for our team and is encouraged and supported by the company.
- Ask how we can help you implement corporate social responsibility components into your next event!
As champions, our team frequently shares our Best Practices through presentations, serving on committees, sharing tips through articles on our Blog and advocating for Corporate Social Responsibility experiences that can be enjoyed by our guests and delegates alike.